Monday 24 September 2007

Book Journal

It's a rainy morning along the Surrey/Hants border today, though it looks to clear up by noon. Meanwhile, I've added a new little section to the blog. Book Journal. Here I will keep a running list of books we've read (Mrs. TeamKing actually). Some of these will be new books and some will be books of various mystery series I'm reading which may not be recognizable to many. Not a lot of non-fiction will be listed. The books may also be ebooks or audio as well. I don't think I'll list that as it doesn't matter, but if you enjoy these forms of reading, let me know. There also won't be any sort of review unless the book was so outstanding I can't help but recommend it.

I'd love to hear your feedback if you see a book listed you read. I enjoy getting recommendations - especially on series books - and just hearing your opinion if you liked or disliked something I've listed.

For the first book on list 'Shakespeare' by Bill Bryson, I do have to add that Bryson is a wonderfully entertaining writer. (If you've never read any of his books, I absolutely recommend them. His humor just cracks me up.)

Some interesting notes from the book. . .
Shakespeare coined/made the first recorded use of 2035 words. Can you imagine?! To create a word that all of the English-speaking world would accept and use, just one, would be incredible for anybody. But to create the quantity he did, wow.

Also, Shakespeare had 2 daughters with Anne Hathaway. But his daughters children all died without children so there lies the end of his line.

Finally, I love how Bryson tackles the nay-sayers who are convinced that William Shakespeare did not write any of his works. The level of secrecy and work required to pull off such a hoax that was so convincing that nearly everyone in that time and for hundreds of years afterward had no doubt stands as what would have to be one of the biggest hoaxes ever. And for what gain?

Yeah, he wrote them.

No comments: