Sunday 22 June 2008

Treasure Hunting

A few years ago - I think that's right - I ran across a group called 'The Armchair Treasure Hunt Club'. This looked pretty cool - sort of like letterboxing and geocaching only you have to solve puzzles to find the 'treasure'. I thought I might join, but then saw that they were all UK based hunts. Oh well. Maybe some time.

Well, now some time has arrived. I went ahead and joined this group. In the mail came this packet of papers. Most of them specific hunts - written clues such as stories, picture clips, word puzzles - and you work them out to find a treasure in the wild. Now, I'm not sure what sort of treasures you actually find. In my mind I'm recalling hunts such as 'Masquerade', 'A Treasure Trove', 'Noah's Ark' and 'The Merlin Mystery' - all book based puzzle hunts you solve to find real treasure/money.

Most of those are all expired now, but if you're keen to try something like these, here are some suggestions:

Books:
Cathy's Book and the new sequel Cathy's Key
The Tower by Graeme Whittle (avail. on www.lulu.com in July)

Websites:
www.professorsjournal.com
www.treasurequestsociety.coom
www.alextreasurehunt.caylixconsulting.com
www.oraclebook.net

Those are just a few I've run across that look interesting. If you end up getting involved in one of them, drop me a line and let me know! Good luck.

And I'll let you know if I have any luck on my Armchair hunts. :)

No comments: