Monday 9 June 2008

eBooks

I saw a blurb today for the Amazon Kindle. It's one of those handheld electronic book readers. Retails for $300-400. Huh? I wasn't quite sure I understood the point of it. If you're new to eBooks, here's what I think is a better way - use your phone. Of course, that depends on what sort of mobile phone you're carrying around. If you have a basic function unit with no PDA sort of options on it, then this won't work. But if you're already using a PDA/Smartphone type of phone then you're all set.

How?

First you need a reader on your PDA. I have a Palm OS Treo so I can't suggest any Windows based programs. The best I've used to date (and what I currently use) is eReader. I've been using them for a few years now and have had no issues. The software is free to download. And once you have the reader on your unit, then you're ready to get some books. I like eReader from this perspective too as I feel they have a good selection of books - both old and current releases. Are the prices cheap? No. They're not. It's rather like going to a bookstore and buying. But, it is still cheaper than a new hardback. Plus you can sign up for their newsletter which has a code in it where you can get 10% off your orders. At least it's something. They also keep your account on their site, so you can always go back and re-download any of your purchases.

Once you find a book you want to buy and have completed the purchase, it downloads to your desktop/computer immediately. I then simply drag and drop to my phone and do a HotSync. Viola! A book on my phone.

Why?

Some people have never understood why anyone would want to do this. Read a book on your phone?! Yes. Let me tell you why I love it. I can't tell you how many times I find myself waiting somewhere - waiting on kids, waiting on doctors/dentists, waiting for someone in a restaurant, store, car, etc., waiting in the airport, train station, etc. We seem to wait a lot in our lives. And this is where I love to pull out my pda phone and read a little. Besides enjoying the book itself, t's relaxing and time flies. I actually get through books quickly now instead of them lingering on my nightstand.

If you've never tried one before, give it a go. The most you can lose is the cost of one book if you end up not reading it.

Oh, that reminds me, here's a source for FREE eBooks. These aren't current books though, they're Classics! Which is really good too when you want to go back and read some of those great literature books you never had time for. . www.gutenberg.org

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to always have a book with you?!
For BlackBerry users MobiPocket works great. I think it is still the only e-reader for BBs.
(I still miss my Palm OS)
Scarab

Who just discovered this Blog

Jen said...

Hey Scarab! Great to hear from you! I recall you being a Palm person - surprised you went over to the Blackberry side. I admit being tempted by them, even more so with the iPhones, but I just love all the things my Palm can do - including CacheMate (best software for paperless geocaching), and Plucker (for downloading AtlasQuest letterbox clues).