Friday 26 October 2007

Putting Together a Micro Letterbox

I remember when I started out that I would have given anything to 'see' what these letterboxes were before I tried to find them or even think about creating one. How big are they? What kind of containers? What do you put in them?

Hopefully, this might help someone out there. Here's how I put together a microbox. . .

First, one of the most common containers for a micro is a 35mm plastic film container. They are nice and small. Fairly rugged. More or less waterproof.

I almost always cover all my containers in camo tape. It just helps them out. I saw a large ammo can geocache one time that was so well done with camo tape and fitting in with the surrounding bush, that I nearly fell over it! Another cache I remember being a favorite was one done in tree bark camo. It was positioned in a hanging place on a tree trunk. It blended so well, it was nearly impossible to see. Be creative with camo tape. You can get some at most every hunting/fishing store and even WalMart. I'll have to find a source in the UK.

Now, on the container in this example, I added a piece of hanger in the tape so that I can hang it in a tree. Not only do these type of hanging boxes make it easier for me to place, they're really convenient for finders who can grab them quickly and re-place them in your designated spot.

So, what goes in the micro? First off, you need a log book that fits. I cut some paper to 1 3/4" x 3 1/2" sheets and staple them at the top. This size fits the 35mm's perfectly. Once you've written the title on the logbook and stamped it or added any other info to it, I like to put it in a plastic bag. (WalMart sells a nice mixed set of small plastic bags that fits this.) Even though most 35mm's are pretty watertight, they still get moisture. And if someone doesn't snap the lid back on correctly, the contents will get wet. Pulling a wet logbook out of a microbox without a baggie is a drag. You usually end up tearing them to get them out. The bagged logbook slips out nicely.

The stamp obviously has to be small enough to fit a microbox. More than once I've carved a stamp that ended up too big to fit. Lots of trimming had to be done to get a fit. Should the stamp be in a plastic bag? Well, I've seen it both ways. For me personally, if the logbook is covered, I don't put the stamp in anything. The only reason I've ever seen to use one was so that leftover ink on the stamp didn't get all over everything. It's up to you. You might have to cut down a baggie to get one small enough for a micro, but it will work if you are determined. The stamp in this photo was not carved by me, so when I got it, it was already in a bag.

Finally, I usually add a first finders certificate to my boxes. When I first started letterboxing, one of our local boxers always added them. Since I was often the FFer, I acquired quite a few of them. So, to return the gesture, I started adding them to mine, and that boxer ended up with quite a few of mine. It was really fun. I'm still doing them. My certificates are the same size as the logbook. I put them in their own plastic bag so the finder can just grab it and go.

To complete the microbox, I put the bagged logbook in first. It will expand to the sides. Then the FF certif and the stamp fit in the center. Put the lid on and Viola! You have a micro letterbox!

Hurry, go plant it! :)

No comments: