Monday 29 October 2007

Military Training

Out today to one of the military training areas for the British Army. I'm still surprised that people can just walk through these areas!

Todays focus was a geocache that was not too far off of the parking area and had a low difficulty rating. Plus it mentioned 'hedgehogs'. Not real hedgies. These were military hedgehogs. Huh? Yep. That's one in the photo.

Then decided on the longer walk cache with the 3.5 terrain rating. Off we went.















Nice views from the ridge.

Ran across quite a few dog walkers. Their dogs were running loose. Penny dachshund had to stay on her lead. She is a really docile dog EXCEPT around other dogs. She just goes mad. A spaniel ran up to her, approached slowly and they sniffed noses, then suddenly Penny tries to fight. She's mad! Anyway, she's on the lead for the time being.

We finally got to the cache. Thank God for the hint because my gps (Garmin 60CSX) took me to about 40ft from where it actually was located. Hmmm. I hope that means they used an old gps and not that mine has an issue. Oddly, the ammo can was covered in a burlap cloth. That worried me at first as I couldn't tell what was actually in the burlap bag. Should I touch it? Is that the cache? or something else? You gotta worry when you're digging around military areas!

I was able to drop off a traveling geocoin sent to me by 3doxies of Tennessee. As a fellow dachshund lover, she asked me to place her coin for her over here to travel around Europe. In return, I got one of her awesome coins for my own collection! I sure hope her coin doesn't run into any issues. Seems like a lot of them go missing for sure. Good luck little coin!


And finally back home with wet belly dachshund who promptly found a sunny spot by the window and went to sleep until the sun moved and she crawled over to her pillow. Tough life.

No comments: