Friday 17 July 2009

Loving iPhone

I love my iPhone. Look at the fun things I use it for:

1) TV Shows - I can download US TV shows off of iTunes and watch them on the iPhone. The individual episodes are released a day after they air on the networks. That's still like MONTHS sooner than I would see them in the UK, if they even air here.

2) Movies - Catch up new release movies you want to see. I use a program called Aimersoft DVD Ripper to copy my DVDs to the right format for the iPhone then just drag and drop in iTunes. (This software works great. I use it to make copies of my DVDs also.)

3)Feeds - One of my top applications is Feeds. Feeds allows you to add all the various blogs you read and then shows you when any of them have a new posting. I love this - what a quick way to keep up to date and enjoy your favorites. As my interests come and go, I update the blogs I follow. I know there are lots of RSS apps out there to allow you to follow your favorites, but I like the ease of use of Feeds.

4) Facebook, Twitter, and Blogger - I'm still trying out what applications I like best to post from, but having the option to post live photos and text from the phone direct to any of your accounts is really fun. And allows you to keep up with your friends while you're on the go. (This works well for me as Texting to my US family and friends just isn't an option!)

5) Internet Access - perhaps it goes without saying, but having full internet access is wonderful. Numerous times I've had to find a number or location or opening hours, etc., and was able to just search on the phone for them via the internet while traveling.

6) Games - I admit it. I love games. I've gone through tons via the Application Store. (Maybe I'll start a review service! haha) But I find it relaxing and enjoyable to sit down and play anything from backgammon to Mafia Wars.

7) Sports Updates - One of my favorite sports apps to use is CBS Sports. Live scores from all the major sports PLUS access to my fantasy baseball leagues.

8) eReader - reading books by phone has been going on for years - I've been reading books this way for that long anyway. It's never been a major mainstream activity. However, I've seen more products and hype in the last 2 years then ever before so look out! Personally, I have always used eReader for both the book downloads and the phone software (software is free) and have never had any issues.

9)Audio Books - continuing on with books - if reading them on the phone isn't your cup of tea, how about listening to books via your iPhone? I recommend Audible.com for your audio books. Again, software is free and everything is easy to use.

10) Maps & Geocaching - ever get lost? even in your own town? I've used the Maps app and others to pull up my location. It's fantastic. Also, use the Geocaching app to pull up caches around you along with the description, logs, hint, and map. I haven't used the iPhone to find many caches yet. (Problem with the durability of the phone out in the wild.) But I'm going to test it out on 2 easy local caches and see how it works out. Maybe investing in a hard weatherproof shell is cheaper then buying a Garmin. . .

And there you have it. 10 things I love to use on the iPhone (in no specific order). Perhaps you're wondering about all the time it takes for these. . .well, for me, I seem to have some many blocks of time where I'm waiting. Waiting on kids, waiting for an appointment, sitting on a train, etc. Time just marches by in bits and I use it catch up with all the things I enjoy with my iPhone. (Plus, Mr. usually hogs the TV for his sports so I never get to see movies or tv shows that way anyhow.)

What are you waiting for? Go get one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am looking at getting an iPhone in September....you make it sound even more enticing now!

Lucy Locket