Thursday 13 December 2007

My Personal Logbook

Way back in time, I used to be in the printing industry. And even though I have bought logbooks - both for my early personal books and for planted boxes, having a custom made logbook is quite special.

My current book is large, but I love it. I designed the size, and selected the paper stock I wanted. Picked out my cover material. All the paper and cover material I was able to get from paper companies I worked with. I pulled in a favor to get it bound at a huge bookbindery in Tennessee where I sent all the material in with my specifications back in late 2004. I tried to keep it in good condition, but a long day out at Dartmoor in 2005 subjected it to constant rain. It survived, but it certainly wore it out a bit.

Having done postal letterboxing, I was at a crossroads for a while on whether I wanted to keep the stamps apart - one book for letterboxes in the wild, another one for plbs. In the end, I decided it was too much hassle to separate them. I keep everything in my one special logbook.

The organized side of me tried to maintain some sense of neatness and order to how I stamped into my logbook. Keeping certain stamps together and such. I still do try to keep multiple stamps from an event or a certain area or park together on a single page. But other than that, it's a hodge-podge of various stamps.

What to do with first finder certificates? I decided the best place was with the stamp. So they get glued in on the pages. This has turned my book into a touch of a scrapbook. But scanning through it and seeing colorful stamps, postal ring stamps all together, FF items glued in and even a few photos has really turned it into a memorable treasure.




At one point, I thought maybe I better not take it out in the wild with me anymore. Better to stamp on a piece of paper or card and glue it in and preserve my book. Plus, it's heavy (think carrying around a college textbook)! But, it just really loses something for me when I can't have the actual logbook in my hand. So I pack it around. It's been to at least 6 different states plus England and France.

The sad part is that my logbook is about 80% full. Filling each page (I think there are about 400 - 200 x 2 - if I recall what I spec'ed) both sides I thought would take it quite a few years. But here we are just going into it's 3rd birthday and the end is in sight. The good part is that since we moved to the UK and I'm not doing PLBs anymore, it should last a bit longer. But anytime you go to an event it seems like you can expect 50 new stamps in your logbooks - give or take. And that fills up pages quickly.

Regardless, I love my little book. No one else has one like it, and the treasure of stamps inside is wonderful. Including the day my kids found it and scribbled on a few of the pages.

I completely recommend you shop around for the ideal logbook for yourself. Maybe it's the reader and book lover in me, but finding a special one-of-kind book is the best.

A few options for you. . .

Fancy making a quality book yourself?
Try The Bookmaaker kits from Plickity Plunk Press (http://www.plickityplunk.com/bookmaaker.html)

Want a unique quality pre-made book?
Try Oberon (http://www.oberondesign.com/)

Yes, I know they are not exactly cheap. If you want cheap, then go down to the office supplies store and pick up a hardbound blank journal for 5 dollars/pounds. You can leave it as is, or change it up with some altered books ideas. My first 2 logbooks were this type.

So, if you're in the market for a new personal logbook, shop around and find the one that works for you!

No comments: