Tuesday 29 September 2009

What a Dunce!

On Friday last week, I decided to go and get a nearby geocache that I have been putting off forever. So, about 2pmish, Penny Dachshund and I set off.

First mistake, parked in the wrong car park. I was up pretty far from where the box actually was located. But it was a nice day so not a big problem.

I was using my Garmin GPS and got to the area where it showed on the geocaching site map and on my GPS. Nothing there. I roamed around and tried to make heads or tails of the GPS which seemed confused as much as me. Finally, I pulled out my iPhone, checked the cache, and found I was 1/4 mile off. What?? Off we went.

I got to the right place but couldn't find the cache. Roamed and rooted around but nothing. Finally, I thought I should check what size cache I was looking for - duh. But as I got into the cache details, I quickly checked the last logs. Missing!! A few of the last people had reported it missing and I, like a total dunce, didn't check the past logs before I left. I mean, what a waste. A very rookie mistake. I really need to get back in gear with geocaching.

Penny and I went back to the car and went home for a nap. :p


Today, I placed another Hedgehog letterbox. Yippee. Little by little I will get these all out there.


























Penny is the worst walking dog. She was so tired out after about 20 mins, I had to carry her up a hill. Otherwise, it was like walking with a toddler - step, pause, step, pause - and 10 minutes later you've gone 30 feet. When she gets tired, she just drops and lays down on the path. Meanwhile, I'm coaxing her along. Thankfully no one came by - I mean, what dog doesn't love to walk?!

Here she is catching her breath. or is she just stopping to enjoy the sun and scenery??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I feel better after reading your trouble at finding the cache. I set off with my children, a friend and her children to do a letterboxing trail on the South Downs - our first one. All the children had notebooks and stamps ready, I had got out the OS map and compass. After a 40 minute drive and not finding the first 3 on the trail, the children had lost heart and all enthusiasm. We went home very despondent.
I really felt like a 'Rookie' !
I took my children to Box Hill a couple of days later and found your hedgehog Ethel - they were all smiles again. I took them to Frensham yesterday and we found Audrey - so thank you very much for putting them out.
We have to think of a team name now so I can join and then update the Atlas website. Need to consult with the children first ! The children are desperate to search in the Punch bowl now but we do not have a GPS. We will have to find someone who has, to take along with us !
I do hope Penny gets a little more energy with the weather improving. You take her to lovely places for a walk.
Thankyou
The Humphries family

Mrs. said...

Thanks for your comments. I have more here to put out so look for others to come sometime. :)