Wednesday 20 February 2008

A Book & a Cuppa for a Friend

Hats off to Texan letterboxer, Ruby Tuesday of the Celtic Lions (standing in black in photo with sons to her right). She lost her fight with ovarian cancer this month. Ruby T (aka Sam Aulson) was one of the first letterboxers I met. We drove up to Dallas to letterbox back in late 2004 and met up with her and her husband in a Starbucks. It was really nice - and a big relief to me - as I realized this letterboxing 'thing' didn't look to be full of strange and odd people. LOL. It was her first exchange.

She was a real force in Texas - trying her hardest to get interest and people boxing in the Dallas Metro area. Back then, she was nearly the only one. At least the only one actively planting. Her boxes were fabulous. I was lucky enough to not only get her boxes in the wild, but also get her postal letterboxes which she also really enjoyed. I consider her one of the queens of the plb world. Her boxes and stamps were fabulous - well thought out and original. I've included pictures of her 'Mary, Queen of Scots' plb and her 'The Office' plb (she was a big fan of The Office). The stapler in the jello stamp is one of my favorite stamps.





























I remember being First Finder on her 3 box series 'Tut Takes A Holiday' in Moody Gardens on Galveston Island. The day we went they were holding a mini-festival right where the boxes were all located! Talk about being stealthy - hordes of people streaming by right next to me! But I got them all!

One of the last gatherings she attended was 'The Great Book Adventure' hosted by Dewberry and myself back in 2006. Her health had limited her, but she still came down and joined us in Houston.

She was a neat lady, and will be missed. I look at her personal traveler and think no one else will ever get this.

So, here's to you, Sam. Thanks for helping me get started in this letterboxing world. I'm going to finally pick up that book series you loved and recommended (Lymond Chronicles).

And I remember that tea you chose for the plb Tea Ring we did together. They probably don't have that brand in the UK, but I'll start the book with a cuppa and remember you. Goodbye.








2 comments:

Laura said...

Lovely tribute.

That BBC ring you hosted was my first Postal Ring (remember how you dragged me into it?) Anyway, I too treasure the stapler in the jello.

Here's to Ruby T. There was no one else quite like her!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. I think I'll get the book and read it along with you, my friend.

Texas letterboxing will never be the same. MO5